Translate

Friday, June 15, 2012

Gift of Linen an Lace


I am so in love with this pile of vintage linen and lace,my heart is all of a flutter.



If someone had given me a diamond,I wouldn't have been as happy as when this little pile of treasures was handed to me as a gift.


The house next door was bought by an investor who has been renovating for 3yrs
He has finally finished and has sold the house.
My hubby and I have become quite chatty with him as he worked away.


Yesterday, I was cooking in the kitchen,when hubby came in with this armful of treasures.
He said that the man renovating next door had handed it too him.
He had said it had belonged to his mother and thought I might like it.
He said to throw it out if I didn't want it, throw it out,is he crazy?

Can you believe it. I feel like I have won the lottery.



 This table cloth was hand crocheted by his mother. It is in perfect condition and so beautiful.
I haven't even started to launder them at this stage and they were still gorgeous.



After sitting on the floor drooling for a while, I was in the mood to give them a good wash and iron.


I just love this, especially when it is so cold.  Nothing warms you more than a couple of hours ironing. I was in seventh heaven, as each tablecloth and napkin took its turn on the ironing board.


I slowly plodded through it, not rushing,savouring every moment.  I marvelled at the beautiful workmanship and the hours that had gone into creating such beautiful pieces. 


Who had sat at the table that this cloth graced. What food did this lady lovingly prepare for her family or friends.




This beautiful cut work brought back memories of my school days
when I had attempted cut work in sewing class. 











This cloth,I don't think has been hand embroidered but is still beautiful




                                         This little round one is hand crocheted.






There is two more beautiful lace edged cloths,one of which has some wear holes
I will post another time on what I am going to do to that one.





These are the lace curtains.
I hung them from the shelves in my sewing room


This one is at the other end of the shelves
I left this straight to hide my printer
I'm not a lover of modern stuff.
The little vintage baby dress and Christening Gown
are 100yrs old and were given to me by an elderly lady a few years back.
The ones in behind the curtain are ones I made.


I haven't seen crocheted granny rugs with this perfect pattern
There are two of these.



There are 3 white damask tablecloths too and
2 sets of napkins and an everyday pale green cloth
Also a circular cream and beige floral cloth.

This is the cloth that has wear holes in the centre.
I have an idea what I will do with it.
I'll show you another time as this post is getting very long.


I hope you enjoyed seeing my treasures. I know you all love linen and lace as much as me.

xx jeanetteann

I will be joining my friends at the following parties this week.

French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home
Common Ground
Trish's Heart and Home
Kathe with an E
My Romantic Home
The Thrifty Groove
Faith Grace and Craft
Delectable Home
Lily-Rose-Cottage
Ivy and Elephants
A Stroll Through Life
Have a daily cuppa Mrs Olsen
Coloradolady
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
The Farmhouse Porch



36 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Jeanetteann! How marvelous. Those linens are just exquisite. I would have been over the moon, too. Imagine! That man said to "throw them away" if you didn't want them? He had no comprehension how much of his Mother's work went into some of them? Oh dear. Well, I'm glad they now have a good home with you. Susan

theromanticrose said...

Che bellissimo regalo ti ha fatto l'uomo della porta accanto!Tu sei felice e dal cielo anche la mamma dell'uomo della porta accanto perchè la sua bella biancheria è in buone mani!Bacioni,Rosetta

Shabby chic Sandy said...

How nice of that man to think of you. It made me smile as you described your enjoyment of ironing those beautiful pieces. I am so happy for you! They are beautiful!

Susan said...

Oh I would feel like I had died and went to heaven to receive those as a gift! How beautiful those linens are, what a precious man to be so generous!

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Jeanetteann,
Beautiful post.
How lucky to be given this lovely gift.
Have a good week
Barb from Australia

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanetteann! Oh, lucky lucky you! What lovely linens you've received. I would feel like you to have been given these lovelies!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

janice15 said...

I think you won the Lottery of Lace and Linens....I'm with you diamonds don't much appeal to me..I rather have a hand full of lace and linens any day. Funny what you come to like. Such pretty things you received I'm jealous...jk...enjoy them indeed...I was just thinking of the things I recently got and I washed them by hand and hung them out in the fresh air...and they too are waiting to be ironed...Happy weekend..with love Janice @ spoonwither.blogspot.com..come by sometime...

Unknown said...

I was going to say how lucky you are, but you know what, it's not luck, it's good karma - what goes around comes around, and you my friend, deserve it.

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a wonderful treasure! How fabulous! I shudder to think of things like that being thrown away! So glad you made his acquaintance and saved history, love and skill!
Ruth

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh I am so happy for you! What a gorgeous bunch of fine linen. I'd say your neighbor had very good instincts. Enjoy!

The Charm of Home said...

What a great gift! I love old laces and linens too! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad he gave them to you and didn't just throw those treasures away!! Wow what lovelies you have now!

Katherines Corner said...

lovely, what a beautiful gift you received. Hopping over from Anita's Cowgirl Up, I'm a happy follower of your sweet blog.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Totally stunning. So many beautiful treasures. I so agree, a fabulous gift. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...

The vintage baby dress is just darling. Thank you for your kind words and for visiting L'Heure Bleue At Home.

Unknown said...

You and I must have been cut from the same pattern by the Master Designer as I felt every word you said in my heart as you worked with the linens. Can you imagine giving away something your mother had crocheted. I have my gggrandmother's table cloth. I will give it to one of my children before it gets unwanted. Beautiful blog. I will be back. Just found this linky party. So glad I did.
QMM

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, how lovely! Don't you just love it when we're handed an unexpected gift like this! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Jeanetteann,

You celebrated Christmas in June! Can't believe you all just got that, such sentimental treasures from his Mother...
Like you I would have felt honored and happy for receiving such beauty. The holes are in the linen of that one cloth I guess, that's what I noticed. How about taking it out of the linen and replacing it with new cloth? Would still last a long time.
You're a lucky girl. Enjoy this treasure.
Love to you,
Mariette

Trish said...

My goodness - what a wonderful blessing for you!
So many beautiful pieces with so much love and attention invested in them.
You must've been bowled over to be handed that gorgeous stash, lol!
I can't wait to see what you will do with the damaged ones :-)
Thanks for sharing your joy and linking to Heart & Home, Jeannatteann.
Have a wonderful week!
blessings..Trish xx

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Jeanetteann,
wow lucky you!! and lucky them, they have found a good and lovin home, throw them away, wouldn't that be sad!! Treasures!
Hugs,
Bella

allisamazing said...

Oh what absolute treasures! They are so beautiful. There is nothing quite as peaceful as ironing linens :)

Karen said...

Wow you hit the jackpot! You really were gifted a lot of beautiful things, I cant imagine someone throwing away such gorgeous things. I'm glad you saved them.

Kathy said...

Oh! My! Word! What a marvelous gift - if you don't want them throw them out! My Goodness! I could just imagine you discovering each piece as you ironed them - treasures indeed!
Delightsome post! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow Jeanetteann, what treasures. so happy that he thought that you might like them. Can you imagine if they had ended up in the trash? I love vintage linens and lace. I also want to thank you for commenting on my guest post at the Thrifty Groove. I really appreciated it.
Hugs,
Jann

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That really is amazing! And what a blessing for you! I know a lot of things get thrown away but just this once, these beautiful linens were given to someone that will cherish them. I'm so happy for you! I love the little dresses. I have a little slip in my doll room that is very old. I treasure it!

Anonymous said...

Did I read right? The guy said if you didn't want them to throw them out?? Silly fella! And, his mother made some of these, too! Really fab collection - truly a treasure! I have quite a bit from my grandmother's collections and you've inspired me to actually take them out and use them rather than just letting them sit in my chest of drawers in my studio/office. We shall see - perhaps for teatime . . .
Joy!
Kathy

pembrokeshire lass said...

Hi, don't know quite how I found my way to your blog but I'm glad that I did! Aren't you so lucky! I have some handcrochet from my grandmother and my husband's mother. The amount of time that must have gone into doing this...mostly by candlelight I should think!...Wow! I've joined your followers as I want to know more. Joan

Geneva said...

The linens and lace are beautiful and I can see why you treasure the gift. Each piece is a true work of art...
Blessings!
Geneva

The Farmers Daughter said...

Always love linens--and these are even more special because you know the story behind them. Wonderful treasures. . .

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Stunning and gorgeous linens! I am so partial to embroidery, crochet and 100% linen fabric, even though it makes me iron to no end, but I still adore it, it has old world charm. Your gorgeous linens are a total treasure because you know what they represent. Thanks for your lovely and generous visit..I love it when you do!
FABBY

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Oh my gosh, found treasure! You lucky!

Happy VTT!

Decor To Adore said...

You did indeed win the linen lottery. I am so glad that it will be treasured by you.

Thank you so very much for your friendship and loving support!

Angela said...

Your new linens are absolutely beautiful, you lucky girl!
If I were you I would leave the little holes, they are vintage, it adds to their charm, you could add a smaller doily or runner over them.
oxoxo
Angela.

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

These linens are so lovely!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Just wanted to hop back and say thanks for sharing your treasures with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Diann said...

What an amazing gift is right! They are all gorgeous and drool-worthy! Congrats on this fun suprise! I will be featuring this post on this week's TTF party. Stop by and grab your "I was featured" button!