Translate

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Time to eat less and fresh



Summer on the way in another month and a half so time to eat less and fresh

I picked these lovely fresh greens from the garden today


All ready to turn into a beautiful crunchy salad.
I had to buy tomatoes which are very expensive at the moment :(
The ones on my bushes haven't set yet.





A nice healthy quiche to go with it.
This is just broccoli ( cooked in boiling water for just a couple of minutes and drained and cooled before placing into the pastry case)
 2 eggs mixed with plain low fat yoghurt and finely sliced
low fat cheese over the top
I made the crust with plain wholemeal flour

I made a little one with the left over pastry for my Grandson
who is on a no salt special diet at the moment






Served with crunchy home made no salt wholemeal bread
I love the black crusty tops


Wholemeal Bread Recipe

50 grms(2 oz) fresh yeast or 30 ml(2 level tsp dried yeast and 5 ml (1 tsp honey)
900 ml(11/2 pints) tepid water
1.4 klg (3 lb)plain wholemeal flour   (I mixed 1/2 and 1/2 wholemeal and strong white)
30 ml (2 level tblsp) demarara sugar ( I used raw sugar)
20 mls (4 level tsp) freshly ground salt ( I left out the salt because my grandson is on a salt free diet at the moment)
25 grms (1oz) vegetable margarine 
optional cracked wheat.

Grease two 900 grm (2lb) loaf tins or 3-4 smaller ones
Blend the fresh yeast with 300ml (1/2 pint) water 
For dried yeast,mix with 1 tsp honey and 300ml (1/2 pint) water and leave to bubble for 15 mins
in a warm place

Mix the flour,sugar and salt (if using) together in a large bowl and rub in the margarine. 
 Stir in the yeast liquid,adding enough of the remaining water to make a firm dough that leaves the side of the bowl clean
 You can use a food processor or Kenwood mixer and dough hook for this if you have one

Turn out onto a floured board and knead until the dough feels firm and elastic and no longer sticky.
Shape into a ball,cover with a clean cloth
 and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour until doubled in size
Turn the dough out onto your floured board again and knead again until firm,flattening out with knuckles to knock out any air bubbles.
Divide into two large tins or 3 or 4 smaller ones
I used 3 x 450 grm for mine.
Optional brush with salt water and sprinkle with cracked wheat

Cover with the clean cloth and leave in a warm place again until the dough fills the tins 
Bake the loaves in the oven at 230C (450F) mark 8 for 30 or 40 mins until well risen and firm
Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack

TIP 

Tap with the knuckle on the bottom. They should sound hollow
If they don't, return to the oven for another 5 - 10 mins.



For pudding, blueberries with low fat yoghurt and drizzled with honey



While I was on a roll in the kitchen
I made orange marmalade



Refreshed all the vases with more blooms



And filled baskets and bowls with the fallen petals,
the scent is so fragrant throughout the house


I am visiting my usual parties this week featured on my side bar.

Hope you have a lovely sunny week

xx jeanetteann


17 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That salad looks so delicious. Fresh vegetables...they keep learning more and more about how important they are to eat. Homemade breads looks so delicious too.

Love that your house smells like rose petals.

Great photo of you and your husband on your anniversary--I think that is new? You look so pretty :)

Alessandra said...

Dear friend, everything looks very delicious. I love the fallen petals, they are very romantic.
Kisses
Alessandra

Merlesworld said...

It all looks great, home made bread looks good,wish I could make bread but mine always looks and tastes like a rock. Tomatoes are a shocking price at the moment we have about ten bushes growing and by the time they are ripe they will be as cheap as chips but you can't beat fresh home tomatoes.
Merle......

Stephanie said...

Yum, everything looks very tasty - I can almost smell the homemade bread :)

Hugs,
Stephanie

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

My goodness, Jeanetteann, that is some spread you whipped up. I want someone to make me some homemade bread! I will never get around to it. Can't think of anything quite as divine as warm freshmade bread with butter! Good luck with the healthy eating. Sounds like a great plan!
Liz

Anonymous said...

Oh you've got me all hungry! I've never had beans/peas in a salad like this. Looks so good. So does your quiche! I used to make bread in the 70s but haven't since. Love the looks of yours. Tanks so much for popping for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my...everything looks so good! I can tell you're a great cook by looking at your photos! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!
Cindy

chateau chic said...

You were on a roll, Jeanetteann! Everything looks very delicious and pretty too.
Mary Alice

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Ahhh...I am just putting my garden to bed for the winter. I will miss summer. You have been a busy lady! Orange marmalade...yum!

Have a lovely day!
Deborah

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

I love quiche and salsd! Summer starting up again sounds pretty good! I would do it all over again.

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a beautiful healthy salad, quiche and the bread looks amazing. Thanks for sharing your wonderful day. You've inspired me to eat healthier today. Love all your photos! Thanks for stopping by with all your lovely comments.

Jody

LV said...

Nothing better than fresh veggies or any produce. Having been raised in the country, I could be a veterinarian very easily.

Doni said...

Well I feel like a bump on a log after seeing all your busy work! Baking bread is a big big job! And yours looks wonderful...I can almost smell it wafting through the computer!! Those roses are gorgeous...ahhhh another beautiful smell!
thank you so much for sharing with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
Blessings,
Doni

A Joyful Cottage said...

Oh Jeanetteann, everything looks delicious and your roses are gorgeous. Love the vignette in front of the lace curtain. So charming. Have a great weekend!

Trish said...

What lovely healthy and delicious food you've been serving your lucky family!
I'm glad we're heading into salad weather soon..but warm freshly baked bread is a joy any day of the year :-)
I always enjoy your beautiful posts Jeanetteann.
You have a true gift for creating beauty and contentment!
Have a lovely weekend.
blessings..Trish

The Porcelain Rose said...

Hi! sweetie!
While you are heading into summer we are heading into winter. Yuck!
Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes. Especially the wholemeal bread! We eat lots and lots of veggies but I LOVE bread! My mother made homemade bread when I was little. She would sit the loaves in the window to cool. The smell of homemade bread is one of my best childhood memories.
My daughter is a Naturopathic doctor and I'm excited to share this recipe with her. She will love it. It will come in handy for the holidays.
I always enjoy my visits here and will visit again soon.
Best,
Elizabeth

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Everything looks so delicious! I love homemade bread! I bet your house smelled divine while it was baking. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse