Translate

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Sour Dough bread


I cook a lot from my Jamie Oliver cook books,so thought I would
try out his sour dough bread

My first attempt was a little too chewy inside and very hard on the crust
but lovely toasted


Next days starter 500grms



Starter


First rising


First batch



Second mother starter


Second attempt. Looks and tastes good


Third attempt,a little pale in the photo because of the light
 but delicious


Recipe

Monday
Tip 500grms of organic Rye flour into a bowl
Add enough luke warm water to make a soft dough
Cover with greased cling wrap and set to one side

Tuesday
Leave it alone

Wednesday
mix in a handful of good flour and if needed a little water to bring back
to the same consistency of Monday
Cover again

Thursday
Leave it alone and watch it bubble and turn into a grey malty smelling dishfull of goodness
The natural good bacteria is doing its job. It has all its own natural yeast

Friday
Tip the lovely little mess out onto a floured surface and surround it with 1 klgm of
strong flour 
(I tried it the second time in my Kenwood with the dough hook to get it started
as it was less messy, before turning it out onto a surface to knead)

Pour sufficient luke warm water into the centre and gradually bring in the flour
mixing and stirring with your hand until all of the flour is incorporated
Keep kneading for about 10 to 15 mins, stretching and pulling until
you have a non sticky soft dough

Cover and set aside until double in size
Punch down and knead again for a few mins
Cut off 500grms of the dough and put into a bowl and cover with the greased cling wrap again

This is your starter for the next batch Hence the sour dough mother 

You can add salt to the rest now if you like. Don't add salt until you have separated the mother dough

Shape the rest of the dough into a shape you like or put into a loaf tin or make into rolls
Cover and set in a warm place until doubled again
Bake in a 200c fan forced oven for about 40mins until when tapped on the bottom it sounds hollow

It is amazingly delicious warm from the oven with its crunchy crust and soft middle even without butter

It is so much fun to make and once you have the mother starter you can make it every couple of days its very satisfying.

I am joining some lovely linky parties this week
The links on my side bar

Happy Week
xx jeanetteann





8 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love sourdough bread but my husband doesn't like it so we don't have it very often. Yours looks delicious!

miss b said...

Thanks for these great tips. I had toasted sour dough bread this moring (not home-made though!!)
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

Kays Kids said...

I love Jamie's recipes as well. I cooked most of the day with grand kids. It is our school holidays here. So Granny's come in handy.
Hugs

Alessandra said...

Thanks for all these delicious recipes...i love bread!
Kisses
Alessandra

Stephanie said...

Mmm...looks delicious! I have never made sourdough bread, but maybe I will be adventurous and try :)

Hugs to you!

Kathy said...

Yum! Love making bread and have never tried sour dough - would love to give this a try - I can just imagine how amazing it is! http://junkchiccottage.blogspot.com/2013/07/laundry-room.html

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love sour dough bread, but have never tried making it. I'm going to pin this and give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It looks yum!
Hugs,
Patti

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love bread and this looks delicious! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

Hugs,
Deborah