Translate

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SNAZZY LITTLE SEED BEDS

I found this little packet of 12 seed raising pods at my local garden centre yesterday and thought I would give them a try.  I actually got 13 in the packet which is a change.

They were so easy to use, they look like little felt round pads ,quite flat.  You just put them into a dish(I used a meat tray)one that comes from the supermarket with meat in it. Although I did remove the meat first. Pour over a little warm water and within a few minutes they are 7cm tall.  Just push aside the mesh on the top and plant a seed, cover over a little with the peat, cover the whole lot( I just put some glad wrap over) and watch them grow.  Just a little bit of water now and then when they go pale brown.  When the seedling is quite strong, plant the whole lot straight into the garden. "Ingenious"
I love the idea and can't wait to see the result.  It saves disturbing the roots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've never seen these before. I purchased something similar from "Waste Not Want Not" on Goodwood Road a while back but they were quite expensive so I couldnt bear to bury them in the ground!

beachvintage.com said...

They will be so cute and snuggly.